Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tell me about yourself

The land of self employment is exciting, lots of hard work, but very slow in getting deals signed.  Two proposals later, I am continuing my search for stable employment and working the individual biz on the side.  After weeks of tweaking my resume and cover letters my hard work is paying off.  Interviews are being scheduled and it's time to put my game face on.  I typically do well in the interview.  I am confident and can speak clearly.  After years in management, I have done my fair share of interviewing.  My favorite questions to ask are, "describe a situation with an unsatisfied customer...what was the issue...how did you handle it,"  Or, "if you were a car, what kind would best describe you," and my favorite, "tell me something about yourself that would surprise me."

My first interview was last week with Apple.  I applied for an at-home management position.  How fantastic, work from home for a big name and add some sparkle and shine to my resume.  My fingers were fast at work researching the company, setting up my Skype account.  I practiced in the mirror and my dear friend helped me decorate my room so the backdrop of the webcam made it seem like an office.  The day came and went with discontentment. I wasn't prepared for the questions!  I stuttered, I rambled, it was like my brain went on vacation and took my speaking abilities with it.  


I know what I did wrong, I should have asked for clarification.  "How did you manage," was the question.  Well, I listed actions I took, how I performed staff evaluations, one on ones, performance improvements...but were they asking if I was a micro manager, or a working manager.  What did that question really mean.  I've been reading educational posts on how to interview, what to say, how to prepare etc.  For some reason that all went out the window and my intellect froze.


This week I have another interview with a large hospital.  I must prepare for the questions: why did you leave your last job without having another job?  Why should I hire you?  Tell me about yourself?  How will you make a difference?  Learning from my past will help me grow in the future. I will be prepared and rock their socks off.  Something good is going to happen, I believe this, I know this.

No comments:

Post a Comment